Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Wind up light

I have been hearing about these flashlights for quite awhile now but I'd never really seen one.  I guess because I really hadn't been looking for them.  The way these work is you turn the crank on the back to charge up the light.  You get a certain number of minutes of light depending on how long you crank it.




When I happened to see this on a discount table I figured it worth the cost to buy it.  The frugal person inside me thought.... ah ha!.... no more batteries to keep charged up in case of a power outage.  Saving on electricity and the cost of rechargeable batteries. 

The original cost was $17.99, discounted to $10.79.  I was surprised at the register when it rang up at $5.39.  Not bad considering I hadn't been looking for it in the first place.  There are also crank radio/light combinations that work the same way.  The radios were not discounted.  Probably because more people want the radio/light combination than just the light. 

I like this technology.  What I really want to know is why there aren't more items made using it?  Or maybe there are and I just don't know about them?  In today's time of buzz words like "reduce our carbon footprints" or "go green to save the planet" why is this technology not becoming new buzz words?

Think about how much electricity could be saved all over the country if household appliances would run on crank technology.  Need coffee in the morning?  Crank the coffee pot.  Want to mix a cake?  Crank the mixer and start mixing.  Need to use the vacuum?  Crank it up and start vacuuming.   Want to watch tv for awhile?  Crank up the tv and your ready to go.   There are endless possibilities if the crank technology is taken seriously enough to Energize the Bunny crew to create new products.  Here's to hoping they keep going! 

No comments: