Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

A me-me quilt finished

Ok, I finished the quilting on this one.  It's a me-me quilt because I kept hearing it say.... Me! Me! Quilt me next!  I should have ignored it and did something else.

I'm not happy with the quilting.  I like the design.  Not my thread choices.  The dark side of the block has stitch in the ditch so it doesn't show.  It's the light side that bothers me.


Scrappy log cabin window quilt

The more I stitched on it, the less I liked the threads.  It was too late to do anything about it.  I was not about to pick the whole thing out and re-do all the stitch in the ditch quilting.  I keep forgetting to not use dark threads on light fabric because that's what bothers me. 


Four colors of thread make the stitching design


In my mind dark thread on light fabric will look good but when finished my eyes don't like it.  That contradiction doesn't make sense to me even though that's what happens.


Dark thread on light fabric shows all stitching flaws


Dark thread on light colors of fabric show every teeny, tiny stitching flaw.  That's what really bothers me.  Seeing all the imperfections of my stitching.   This definitely will not win a ribbon in the fair.  It will make a really good window quilt though.  A constant reminder for me to stay away from dark threads on light fabrics.  At this point all I can say is.... done is good. 

The next quilt is on the machine and waiting on me.  It's going to be difficult to quilt because it has minky fabric for the backing.  If a machine quilter is not very careful, minky can become distorted while quilting it.  I do load it with the sides with the least stretch attached to the leaders.  Still, it may have too much stretch for the cotton fabric that is to be the front of the quilt.  Luckily, the owner has chosen to have a very simple panto quilting done on it.  It should make the quilting a little easier to do and prevent distortion.

3 comments:

kathi said...

I REALLY LOVE the dark stitching on the light fabrics. but yes, i know what you mean about every "flaw" showing. FORTUNATELY we are our WORST critics, and everyone ELSE never even NOTICES what WE see as FLAWS. life comes in COLORS. USE THEM.

Anonymous said...

I think your quilting is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your window quilt and really like the quilting design. You do beautiful work.

Susan R
quilttrack47@yahoo.com