Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Sunday, April 15, 2007

Naughty cat quilt

I was kind of bummed out today. I read the winner's list from the MQX show. I didn't win anything. I'm happy for those who did win but I was oh so hopeful I would win something for a change. I entered a quilt that won best of show at the state fair last year and one that got 3rd at AQS Nashville last year. Oh well.... maybe next year.

I started the day by making this cat for my friend Martha. I know... I hadn't planned to show pictures until she saw it but I couldn't resist.

Martha made the background and sent it to me about a year ago. She was unhappy with how it turned out and asked me if I could do anything to 'fix' it? The quilt has a waistline. Every once in a while I would pull it out of the project drawer and study it then put it back.

When I came across the pattern for the cat I just 'knew' it would fit Martha perfectly. She has cats. One is a grey one that she says 'has personality'. And it would fix the problem of the quilt with a waistline. Now it appears that the weight of the cat is pulling the quilt in at the center.

Don't ya just love that expression? Almost like the cat is saying 'what have I got myself into?'. Sorry about the fuzzy dark pictures. I don't get good pictures on rainy days. The quilt is on it's way home to Martha. I sure hope she likes it.  (The cat pattern is from Jukebox Quilts)

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ohio star quilt

This is the quilt I finished on Monday and Tuesday. This is the left half.

This is the right half. It is so long (140 inches by 100 inches) that it hangs off the sides and ends of my table.

This is a close up of the sashing.

This is a close up of the blocks. I did part line dancing and part design in them.

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Issue quilts

Issue quilt - vintage double wedding ring

I finished this vintage quilt for a customer. It was an inherited top that had been in storage for a number of years. It had alot of issues I had to deal with to make it usable.

These issues are typical of inherited vintage quilt tops.

I stabelized the whole thing by doing a serpentine line around all the arcs first. While doing this I pulled and tugged and folded areas to get it all fairly even and flat.

I then rolled back to the beginning and quilted in the other areas.

I wrapped the back to the front for the binding. Yes, it is wavy. It should flatten out when the quilt is washed. It is not supposed to be perfect. It’s just supposed to be finished so it can be enjoyed and used.