Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Just a little thing

Way back when I was quilting 80+ hours a week, it was often the little things I couldn't get done.  Anything that might take only a few seconds to do, just didn't find their way into my schedule.  That's all changed now.  I actually have time for little things again now that my life is not consumed with quilting. 

I bought some of these from the discount table a few weeks back.  I love these little hooks but I especially like the glue part.  It won't damage anything if it's removed.  Just a little pull and you can't tell it was ever there. 



Yesterday, while cleaning the kitchen, the fact that I don't have a place for my hand towel really bugged me.  It's one of those little things that never got done.  

Well yesterday was the day I said "Today I'm going to make a place to hang a hand towel!"  Hmm... I could sew some fabric strips to the corner of all my hand towels and use a hook to hang them.  I wasn't in the mood to do any sewing.  I wanted to clean the kitchen.  So I got a clothes pin,




and made a towel holder that can be changed later if I want. 



It was a quick temporary fix.... but oh so satisfying to realize I took the time to do it.  It's far too easy for a professional quilter to tell them self "I'll do it later.... after I finish this quilt." but later doesn't seem to get here.  There is always the next quilt, and the next quilt, and the next quilt.  Before you know it there is a LOT of little things that never got done. 

If you are just starting out with your machine quilting career, take the time and learn to say no.  You'll be glad you did a few years down the road. 


No comments: