Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Analyzing the bills

I happen to be looking for a receipt yesterday which ended up with me doing a "file it" session.  That's one thing I can cross of my to do list.




Then it occurred to me that I haven't analyzed my bills in quite awhile.  I like to go through them every once in awhile to see if I can cut back or in some cases see if I have lost control of what I use.  For example my gas and electric bill. 


 I'm on the equal payment plan but it's about 75 dollars more a month this year than it was last year.  How can that be?  I did have the house well insulated last year and a new furnace and water heater installed.  The bill should be smaller, not higher!  My guess is that a big part of the difference is the hike in costs our utility company has gotten over the past few months.  I'll have to do more researching to know for sure.

I have a meeting later this month to meet with a financial planner.  I am pretty good at figuring out how to save money but it's always nice to have another person to talk with.  An in person conversation between two or more frugal minded people is good.  They may see something in my plans that I don't see and can point it out to me. 

Anyone who has been reading my blogs for awhile know that I desperately need some work done around here.  I have over grown trees in the fence line.  I have major wood damage (pre-termite treatments) to the outside of the house.  I would like to get a stairway built to the basement in order to use it at last.  I will probably need to replace the roof in about 3 or 4 years.  It has a 30 year warranty that will run out about then.  You know what happens when a warranty runs out don't you?  It never fails to need replacing.  There are other things I need too. 

What I'm hoping to do is figure out a way to pay cash for the repairs I need instead of getting a loan.  I hate going into debt if I can avoid it.  I do have a plan in mind which is why I'm meeting with the financial planner.  I want to do this without going back to work full time too.  I like my retirement and really don't want to give it up.  I really hope my plan works! 





No comments: