Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spring cleaning in the Winter

Winter is cloudy, dark, and dreary most of the time in this area. When a day suddenly brings lots of sun through the windows I like to be prepared to clean.

Yesterday was my first shopping trip of the year and my first without using coupons. I picked up cleaning supplies. Baking soda, vinegar, peroxide, laundry soap, and bleach. With these supplies there isn't anything I can't clean.





I looked for Fels Naptha bar soap but couldn't find any so I bought the era. I'll keep looking for the soap. I haven't used it in a long time so I'm not sure its still available.

The baking soda can be used for brushing teeth, washing hair, scrubbing the tub and toilet, and about 999 other things.

The bleach is of course a disinfectant and cleans too.

The vinegar is used in place of a fabric softner, a deodorizer, and helps cut grease.

The peroxide is used for a homemade version of oxi clean. This is the recipe:
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup peroxide
1 cup water
Mix and apply to stains then put the rest into the washer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For general cleaning, especially floors and tile, I use white vinegar, warm water and a squirt of Dawn Original dish detergent. You can use 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water. I have read that vinegar is so acidic that many germs. I use the Dawn as a surfactant.