Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On point quilt part two

Now that I've gotten the whole quilt stabilized by stitching in the ditch around all the blocks and the borders, it's time to start the quilting.  I prefer to do the outside borders first.  This is the area that will have the largest amount of fullness.... in most cases.  There are times when the borders are smaller than the top creating a "D" cup top. 

For this quilt I need designs that do not cross over themselves.  The stitching lines may touch but not cross over.  The reason is to keep the extra fullness between the stitching lines but not be pushed into a previous stitching line.  That's really hard to describe so look at this photo.  The stitching lines go back and forth in arcs, to touch in the points, but does not cross over itself.  You see what I mean? 



Here the design is stitched out.  Can you see how the extra fullness is worked in between the stitching lines?  Click on the photo to get a larger view.  If I had done a design that crossed over itself, there would be tiny tucks at the crossings. 


Here is how I measured to keep the scallops somewhat even.  I'm not trying to make a show quality quilt, just one that looks really nice in spite of the issues.  I measured the border from the stitching line on one side to the stitching line of the other side then divided it by 3.  I can make my scallops best at between 2 1/2 and 3 inches.  It came out to just a smidgen more than three inches for each one.  Everybody knows what a smidgen is don't they?  It's about the same amount as a pinch or a dash.  Anyway, I put a small chalk mark where the scallops should touch the inside border.  Those marks are my target as I make the scallops. 


Instead of doing the inside border next I'm going to work on the solid blocks.  Partly because Kathi has an issue quilt up next on her machine and I want her to see what's possible.  Mostly I'm doing these because I work the areas with the greatest amount of fullness first.  You can see the solid blocks have quite a bit of fullness to deal with. 



I'll be working on these today and will have pictures here tomorrow.

No comments: