Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Kitchen weekend

With a trip to the farmer's market on Thursday and a grocery shopping trip on Friday I knew the weekend would be filled with chores in the kitchen.  I moved my disk player to near my work area in order to listen to some books.



Furkid Dylan said oh, oh, Mommie's is in the kitchen, let me get close enough to catch the falling bits of food.  He drags his blanket to near my feet and gets comfortable.



I get busy cleaning and freezing greens.


I move on to doing corn on the cob.


Then make some home made ground beef for the freezer too.  Love the grinder attachment for my Kitchen aid!


Moving on I cleaned and flash froze a whole bunch of grapes.  No time for making juice or jelly.  I do like frozen grapes as a snack treat now and then.


Then I got busy making some butter.  Love the mixer even more!


What's the good of having fresh made butter if there's no fresh bread to eat?  I made bread too.



The sewing machine guy picked up the singer machine to work on it.  I could probably have worked on it myself but I'd rather leave it to the professional.  He said he could have it back to me by Christmas if not sooner.  I hope to have the cabinet all cleaned up and ready by the time the singer comes home. 



I decided to let him take the serger too.  It's better for machines to get a yearly tune up to keep them in good working order.  I figure if I'm going to be using this machine alot then it should get it's first tune up now.  He's going to see if he can get me an instruction book too.



It was a very busy and productive weekend.  I'm glad I took the time to preserve my harvest even if it came from the grocery instead of a back yard garden.  Today I'm back at work at the quilting machine.  I'll finish what I can before Ladybug arrives.  Hmm... there's a ton of dirty pots and pans that need to be washed too.  Oh, and more greens to be done.  A lady's work is never done!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like my semi-retired schedule.  It feels more normal, natural, and happy.  I'm more relaxed than I've been in years.  My mind is no longer in a constant panic state worrying about getting "just one more" quilt done.  Yup, I like it.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a no pressure, but get a lot done weekend. Those are the best kind. Doesn't seem so much like work. Hope you get your "toys" back before the promised Christmas date. Something about sunny fall days make chores seem less like work,too, at least for me.Love looking at your flea market finds, I never find those kind of treasures. I think you have to be there on the right day. I certainly don't "need" anything but it's fun to look. N

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

I'm so glad semi-retirement is agreeing with you....and oh, how is wish I'd been nearby when that homemade bread was coming out of the oven!! And fresh-made butter...wow!

I quilt a few quilts for others but don't intend to do any advertising or anything like that. Why? You said it...the feeling of always being rushed & panicked that deadlines won't be met. I like doing things on MY schedule and not missing out on fun things or family things because i HAVE to get someone else's quilt done.

Anita Estes said...

N, in the spring and in the fall is when most people clean and organize. That's when most stuff shows up at thrift stores because people don't want to just throw it away. I keep a list of what I'd like to find and take it with me. Patience helps too.

Anita Estes said...

Beth, so glad to see you are taking my advice. When I first started quilting there wasn't anyone around to give advice and many of us old timers learn our lessons the hard way.