Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

To: Anonymous (MJ)

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "What's up lately?":

Morning. With all your quilting expertise can you tell me if there is something other than the Silicone sheet to help with free motion quilting on a home machine that doesn't cost $25.00. There is a spray also that is suppose to help. Do you know which would be better???Thanks for your help. I love reading your blog. MJ


You have it set up so that I can't reply to your comment question so I'll put it here.

The thing that comes to mind first is possibly parchment paper or Reynolds anti-stick foil. Both are supposedly non-stick so your quilt sandwich should slide easily over them. Since nothing sticks to the parchement paper I don't know how you could get it to stay in place on your machine. The foil could at least be folded to stay put.

Another thing you might try is furniture polish on the bed of your machine. If you've ever used spray polish (like pledge) to clean then you know how slick the furniture feels after. I use furniture polish to clean the rails and wheels on my quilting machine. Really makes them glide easily..... wheeeeee. Like duck crap on glass. If you know anything about ducks, that's supper slippery.

2 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

I've never done it but read that you can use car wax on the bed of your machine to make it slick.

Theresa said...

It may also be that the free motion ordarning attachment Anonymous is using is putting too much pressure on the top of the quilt, so it doesn't want to move (from personal experience.)