Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Oh my goodness!

.
I really like the Freecycle group!

See these quilt books? I went through all mine and decided to get rid of these. I believe there is about 150 in this stack and I have another stack in another room.



I didn't know what to do with them. I thought about donating to the library or to a thrift store. Somehow it just wasn't what I wanted to see happen to these books I so lovingly read and used regularly. I really wanted someone to have them that would use them as much as I have. So I posted them on the Freecycle group. Wow! Within minutes I got a whole bunch of replies from people who wanted them.
.
One person lost all her quilting stuff in the flood, some were new to quilting, one man wanted them for his wife for xmas, another man wanted them for his wife who is a beginner and another person wanted them for the quilters in Appalachia. There were others too. So many requests and all for good reasons. Well, I decided to divide them all up so each request gets some of the books. I decided to add some fabric to each group of books as a sort of bonus. I feel so much better about giving them up knowing they are going to people who really want them.
.
I guess I better get started sorting some fabrics very early just in case someone decides to be here early to get their books.
.
I did get a lot of things moved around today. I can actually find things now... sort of. Still quite a bit to do though. I also got another quilt on the machine and started stabilizing it. I have about 50 packages of quilt batting under the machine but only one of the type anyone requested. So that's the quilt that went on the machine. My batting order from last week hasn't arrived yet. It probably will arrive just in time for the next quilt.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Out here, I stopped doing costuming to focus on quilting. I needed to get rid of the costume fabrics and findings, so I posted it on craigslist and was contacted by a girl who teaches sewing to developmentally disabled adults and really needed everything I could give her. I was able to give away all of the things that were in my way and feel good about where they were going. Thank God for the internet! It's good to be able to walk into my sewing room and work in there.

Anonymous said...

Don't mean to be a pessimist, but hope that all those that asked/got your books are legitimate people and not those wanting to make money of it. I ALWAYS borrow books from the library, i.e., books on tape, felting, knitting, quilting books. But, then, I also pass on books, but to those I know and show an interest.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, yes there's always that chance someone takes those books and magazines for the wrong reason, but you have to believe you are doing the right thing and let God handle those that are too lazy to help themselves. I'm sure many of those books are going to someone that can use them or gets someone excited about sewing.
I read a blog once and all the writer did was complain about what was being done with our tax dollars. Yes there are those that will take advantage of something they can get for themselves, like insurance, cell phones, food or clothing but think about how many more people are helped. This writer was passing judgement on something/someone they didnt know. I'm not saying this to you, anonymous, because I often think the same thing when asked to give. But if someone is being helped, that's what's important.

Theresa said...

I look at it this way, even if someone asked for the books to sell them, then two people per book are helped-- the person who went to the trouble of pricing, selling and shipping the book, and the person who got it for less than they would have paid retail.