Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Its been almost a week since I've actually had time for quilting stuff. This week has felt more like a month. My brother has finally made a break through on his mental health. He should be released from the hospital Monday or Tuesday. Then I can get back to more quilting..... umm, unless there is another crisis to deal with. I really, really want to finish the last of the customer quilts so I can do things for myself for awhile.

In between running to the VA hospital twice a day and taking my SIL to the places she needed to go there has been very little time at home.

I did get some quilting work done last night and early this morning. I have 3 necktie quilts I want to get finished ASAP. This will be the money I can use to buy a new washer and dryer.

In between taxi trips, I got the circles made for the 3 small necktie quilts. As you can see, when the circles were complete..... gee whiz.... there is a lot of extra fullness. I screwed up in the sewing process. I was in too much of a hurry. I know better than that!



So I start taking all 3 circles apart to do over. Well would you look at that? See the amount of space between the two ends? That's the amount of extra fullness in the circle. I know this because with the seam open the circle lays flat. What caused this? My seams are not accurate. I was in a hurry and not careful about 1/4 inch accuracy. Especially in the center area.


I should have reminded myself of my own advice..... "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how will you ever find the time to take it apart and do it over?" Well here is one of the circles all done over. It's really nice and flat now. Yippie!


I don't need to be back at the VA until later today for visiting hours. No therapy sessions on Sunday. I'm hoping to get the other two circles finished by that time. In thinking about my mistake it occured to me.... "It takes much less time to do the quilting right in the first place than it does to explain why I didn't."
Ooo.... too much deep thought this morning. A bit of mindless quilting will help.

2 comments:

FoulkeArt said...

Anita

Glad you could get back to the sewing machine. It's good therapy, I know from experience!!!
MArilyn

Theresa said...

You've been through so much in the last few days!!

I try to save easier stuff for when I'm stressed out (like hand stitching bindings or mending clothes.)

The ties are looking really good! I can't wait to see what the finished quilt looks like.