Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Quilting and groceries?

You might be wondering to yourself..... what has stockpiling groceries, washing plastic bags, flash freezing food, and various other things on this blog have got to do with being a professional machine quilter?  Well, think about it, if you are extremely busy with the xmas rush season or a quilt show deadline.... how much time can you devote to staying within your budget? 



Trust me, if you are truly being a professional, your personal life will start to fall through the cracks in time management.  As a result you will start to take shortcuts by buying things and doing stuff just to keep your quilting schedule.  It will happen gradually, one shortcut at a time.  Buying takeout instead of cooking.  Rushing through a grocery store buying prepared frozen foods (the personal chef) instead of carefully planning meals.  Paying someone to do repairs around the house that you could do yourself but just don't have the time because quilts are waiting.

It happened to me and it could happen to you if you let it... like I did.  It happened so gradually I didn't even notice except for a slight twinge of guilt the first couple of times I took a shortcut.  After that it got easier and easier to take shortcuts..... until one day I realized I was working just to keep working.

Here's a thought for you.  Suppose you are spending on average of $200 a week for grocery items.  That would be both food and non-food stuff that makes your life easier so you can keep on quilting.  Hmm.... do you realize that $200 per week adds up to over $10,000 a year?   I don't know about you but I sure could find other uses for ten thousand dollars, can you?  How many hours does it take you to earn $200 at the quilting machine?  Would you really be happy giving ten thousand dollars a year to someone else just so you can earn another ten thousand to give away again and again?  Really?

If there was a way to cut that $10,000 down to $5,000 or even $2,500 couldn't you find another use for the extra $2,500 or $7,500?  A nice vacation?  A new organizer system for your quilting studio?  A new bedroom set?  Yes, I think everyone can find a use for the extra money.  That's why having a stockpile of groceries can be so helpful to a professional quilter.  Just go to your pantry to find what you need for a quick meal and then you can get back to quilting OR spend quality time with family.  Having a well stocked pantry is just one item in your professional tools that will allow you more time to have a life.

That's the reason I'm writing so many posts these days about creating a well stocked pantry.  It's a tool I plan to use once more.   A tool I had long ago set aside and forgot how much it helps... until recently.  I have other tools that I long ago dropped in favor of keeping a quilting schedule.  I will be posting about those too.  I don't mind others using what I type-talk about so they too can become a better professional quilter.  In fact, I hope it helps before someone make the same mistakes I made.

No comments: