Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Plastic bag drying line

There was a time when backyard clothes lines would be seen with bread bags hanging and drying.  You know, back in the days when clothes lines were in every one's back yard.  Not many things came in plastic bags back then but bread did if you bought it.

Well yesterday as I was flash freezing meat I ran out of freezer bags.  Normally I just put the store package inside a freezer inventory bag but this meat came in large family size packages.  I had to make smaller one person sizes before freezing it.

It was only a couple of years ago I had sworn I wouldn't wash and reuse freezer bags.  I've since come to my senses and realized I need to reduce my carbon footprints.  I started washing and reusing my freezer bags a few months ago. 

The last few days I've been drying frozen vegetables and keeping the bags.  I thought, well hmm, the bags are made for the freezer so why not reuse them to package the meat?  I do double bag so these should be fine.  First I should wash them, but where can I dry them?  I have an idea for making a drying rack.  Nope, can't do that, I don't have the time right now because I have a fair entry quilt to finish.
So, I made myself a temporary plastic bag drying line.  I put two small nails just inside my cabinets.  One on either side of my sink.  Then found a piece of elastic to use as the line.  I thought about using bungee cords but mine were too short.  I needed something that could be stretched fairly tight but is temporary.  I want it out of the way when I'm through with it.




Here the bags are all washed and hanging from their very own drying line. 


 


The bags are now washed, dried, and used as the inside wrapping.  I used twist ties to close each bag.



Now it's double bagged and ready to list on my freezer inventory then return to the freezer.



Oops!  I just realized I didn't write down how many pounds I have so I can list it on the inventory sheet.  The original package is gone so I can't look at it.  Garbage was picked up already.  Hmm.... I think I should write "food scale" on my list of items to look for at the thrift store.  I've been wanting one for awhile. 

So how about you?  Are you doing your part to reduce your carbon footprints?  It could save you money.

No comments: