Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The fifth R

The 5th R of frugal living..... REACTIVATE IT  aka Repurpose it

Next time you need something ask yourself "what do you have around your house that you can put into service to fill this particular need" and save yourself some money in the process.

When you reactivate something you are taking it from it's normal use and remaking it into something else.  You might think of reactive in the same thought as repurposing.  Quilters do the repurposing thing all the time with their fabric stashes.

Did you ever wonder where the term "crafter" or "crafting" came from?  I believe it came from some cleaver frugal person who wanted to put a fancy name on reactivating their stuff.  Instead of saying "oh, I'm just reactivating (or repurposing) these old raggedy clothes into a rug"  they probably said "I've found a new hobby of crafting rugs" and smiled about it.  Instead of saying "I'm going to turn this old driftwood into a lamp because I don't want to buy one" they may have said "I've found a new way of making lamps for a hobby."  Yup, I think the terms crafter and crafting came from a frugal person.

Now you know what the 5 Rs of frugal living are all about. 

Restore it
Refresh it
Reuse it
Repair it
Repurpose it

No comments: