Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Does it work?

With the economy being the way it is people are looking for alternative uses for traditional items. I thought I might start posting about some of the things I try or have tried in the past.

This is one of them. A few weeks ago, I was having a poor signal from my tv. I thought maybe it was because of the new digital on an old tv. Well after some research I came across this helpful hint. I didn't bookmark the site so I'm not exactly where I read it.





The hint is..... if there is a poor signal on a tv that is stacked on top of a vcr.... there might be a fight between signals on the two devices causing both to give off poor signals. To separate the two put a piece of aluminum foil between. This should break up the fight. So I tried it. So far.... so good. I get a much better quality picture.
.
A part of this hint is a very old one. Back in the days before cable people used rabbit ear antennas or had one on the roof, aluminum foil was used to "boost" the signal. Some said it worked but others said it was just wishful thinking. I was a believer and had aluminum foil on the ends of the rabbit ears.
.
I'd be interested to know if others try this and whether it works for them or not.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

The aluminum foil is conductive and acts as shielding for electromagnetic waves; it can also be used as an antenna if it's grounded and attached to a receiver.

I'm glad you tried it.