Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Helpful hint for bobbins

I'm working on a quilt.  The thread I want to use is on a bobbin.  (It's left over from a "quilt upside down" project.)  I don't have a full spool but the amount on the bobbin is enough for what I need for this quilt.  There's no place on the machine to hold a bobbin so I can use it like a spool.  What do I do?  Repurpose of course!

I found these items around the studio.  Two empty spools and a nail should give me a good temporary bobbin holder attachment.



The nail will go this way in the smaller spool.


A bit of hot glue to hold it in place.


Be sure to hold it centered while the glue cools.


Now put the smaller spool, upside down, inside the small end of the larger spool, with the nail up.  Like this.


It fit perfectly and tight enough to stay in place without any hot glue.  Now the nail becomes the bobbin holder.  The flat part of the smaller spool become the platform for the bobbin to sit.


The whole thing fits right onto the regular spool holder of my machine. 


This is a great way to use left over bobbins of specialty thread as the top thread on a quilt.  Hmm... it would work to help empty some of those extra bobbins of thread colors too.  You know, the dozen or so of one color you wound because you couldn't find the ones already wound?

No comments: