Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

.
The floor guys were supposed to be here yesterday afternoon to start tearing out the old floors so I didn't want to start on a quilt and get interrupted. I worked on some plain fabric for one of my window quilts. It's not fancy.... just functional. That went rather quickly because I used the quickest panto I have.





At about lunch time I got a call that the guys were not finished with their other job so they wouldn't get here until this morning. I decided to work on these art hearts. These are from my friend Marilyn (Metaphor in fabric). She brought them to me and is looking for other people to decorate some hearts too. These are to be decorated and auctioned off to benefit a food kitchen and pantry. There are going to be several artists participating in this. The auction is going to be in a local art gallery.

Actually, I'm a little intimidated about putting my work into a gallery with a bunch of well known artists. I've tried getting my art into shows before and always get a response...... "It's not the quality of art we are looking for." Well, duh, someone has to be an artist like me. Someone has to be the kind of artist that creates all those coloring books that children love... don't they? So why not me? It's the way I learned to draw so why is it not considered art? Coloring books don't just magically appear at the store you know. Someone has to draw the pictures before they get printed into books. No, I'm not an actual coloring book artist, but that's my type of art.

Maybe because it the kind of art for children and not adults that adults don't believe its art? Well heck, if no one buys my hearts, there is no loss. I can always give a money donation. If you haven't seen Marilyn's hearts you really should! I love her heart chicken. It has great personality. I wish I had thought of it. Just look on the side bar to find her link. I believe if anyone wants to decorate a heart that there is still time. It's for a good cause. Just contact Marilyn about the details.

So what can I do with two wooden hearts?



Give them a personality of course. I have a little touching up to do before I attach the fabric to the hearts. This is a "him" heart. I thought the little mustache gave him a mischievous personality.

This is a "her" heart. Looks kind of cautious doesn't she?



Now if I can only figure out how to get the fabric attached to the hearts. I don't have a staple gun. A regular stapler is not strong enough to penetrate the wood. I'm not sure if glue will work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well I best get off the computer and get ready for the floor guys. They told me it will take about 3 or 4 days to complete the job. When they move my computer I won't be able to post until after the work is finished.

4 comments:

FoulkeArt said...

Anita -
I LOVE your hearts! Loads of personality, and wonderful graphics!

Thanks for the plug,too

Marilyn
Metaphor in Fabric

Theresa said...

I think plain old Elmer's glue would work fine, but you could always use tacks and a hammer, like with upholstery. In either case, it would look good if you use batting between the fabric and wood to soften the look.

I've been reading your earlier posts and I understand your frustration with the quilt show and art show judges. I don't know what they're looking for either, but in most cases, the quilts that win don't really appeal to me. They may be artistic tours de force, but mostly, they don't look like something you'd want to pull around you and cuddle into when you're cold. For me, the whole purpose of quilting is to provide comfort for loved ones. The beauty and whimsy are part of that comfort, but if the quilt is all about being complicated or picky-- well, I guess it's like a beautiful woman who wears perfect, crisp clothes and lots of make up. Pretty to look at, but loved ones (especially men and children) really prefer huggable women to magazine-photo-ready women.

I like your quilts because they're beautiful and useful, and because I could see myself curling up to read a book inside of them.

Beth said...

Anita, have you tried a regular stapler using a tap with the hammer? I have been successful on wood with that method. How about trying hot glue just on a couple strips (after you have clipped to get around the curves), just to see how it holds. I have some cornices in my bedroom made out of foamcore boards..they have held the hot glue for years. Just be sure you get rid of all the 'thread' left behind after the glue cools. They made my bedroom look like I NEVER dusted in there! HA!

Anonymous said...

How about fusing them, with a iron on fusible. If its fabric paint I see no problem.

Jay in Nebraska