Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Organize those fat quarters!

I was reading an ad in a quilt magazine about fat quarter organizer boxes. The boxes were selling for $15.99 each plus the shipping. Granted the boxes were very nicely reinforced with metal strips and sure were pretty.

Being the frugal person I am; I can't see myself paying that much for a cardboard box. Especially if I needed more than one box to store the fat quarters I had in my stash. If I needed 5 boxes that would amount to over $80.00 with the shipping. Heck, that would pay for more fat quarters or yards of fabric for the stash. Or maybe a half tank of gas if I had a car.

I prefer to "use what I have to make do" I've mentioned before that I like to recycle items into new usable items. Cardboard boxes are so much fun to recycle! Especially shoe boxes. They are sturdy and versatile.

Here is what I do with shoe boxes. I prefer to make them look more like "bought" boxes and a little less like shoe containers. I had some left over white paint from painting wood trim so this box will be white.

This is how it looks before.


This is how it looks after painting.


It's a perfect size for my fat quarters. All I need to do is add a label and I have a good alternative to spending money for a cardboard box. Of course you can see some of these are a tad bit over a fat quarter. I didn't buy them as fat quarters, they are left overs from other quilt projects.


Just for the heck of it I thought I would show you another very versatile box for storing items. This one is what my medical supplies arrive in.


This one got painted black. Yes, it is a little rough because I pulled off the labels before painting. Lesson learned.... paint the labels too.



I use this one to store different rolls of tape.

No comments: