Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I'm back

I had the most wonderful weekend! The best Christmas present I've gotten in many years.

I visited my sons and their families in Southern Kentucky. The time passed much too quickly. I missed the connection road to their house and wandered all around the country side (for a couple of hours) until I finally got directions to go the right way. You'd be surprised how many people in the country don't know how to give directions. When I was leaving, my son gave me the directions back to the interstate. It was then that I realized the highway sign, which I had missed, was twisted and turned backwards. It looked like it had been hit by a car or something. Duh! No wonder I had missed the turnoff road sign.

Why didn't I just know the way there? Well its been several years since I drove those country roads. Lots of things changed. New buildings put up everywhere and old familiar sights were obscured by the new ones. You know how it is, stay away from an area for a few weeks and the next thing you know there is a new building. Multiply that by a few years and a bunch of new houses make the whole area unfamiliar. On the way home I decided to take the country roads instead of the interstate. A drive through the countryside it always a treat for me. The constant rain didn't even change the happiness at seeing all the farms along the way.

In years past....I would work all the way up to Christmas Eve on customer quilts. Even though I wanted time off during the holidays, just like other people, there would always be something to keep me at the machine instead. This year I decided to take time off early. Now.....if I work up to Christmas Eve....it won't matter because I already got my Christmas present. Spending time with my kids and grandkids is the only 'present' I really want. The gift of time is the best gift I can ever get. I can hardly wait to save enough money to make the trip again!

I helped my DIL to learn how to use her new sewing machine. I would have loved to spend more time with her and the sewing. I'm going to send her some of my decorator books.....as soon as I find them. She wants to learn to make curtains and pillow covers and stuff like that.

I tried really hard to get the grands to warm up to me but they really don't know me. Its hard for a kid to warm up to a stranger. I'm actually glad they are that cautious......with the way the world is today.

Now that I'm back home I find there is more work to complete before the Holidays than I thought. Quilts I had agreed to do....way back when....so those will get done before I get started with the reorganizing. Oh, who am I kidding, I can't help myself, I'll do a little quilting and a little organizing.

Later.....

1 comment:

EileenKNY said...

So, how did it feel being behind the wheel again?