Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Anonymous comment answer

I tried putting this in the comments as an answer to anonymous but blogger said it was to many words so I cut and pasted it here.



Ok, anonymous, I agree with you.

My post was not meant to judge anyone or to upset anyone. I was only stating my opinion about the people on that particular show... who I thought were actually being portaid as geedy. I heard not one of the extreme couponing people say that most of what they got free was going to charity. Maybe I missed that part. What I saw was stockpiles far greater than one family could use in one lifetime... or two lifetimes and was going to be left in a will rather than give any of it to charity.

I never know how people are going to interpret my written words so I like the option of debating my opinions.  I also knew by posting I might get someone angry with me. It was a chance I had to take. Again, I like the option to debate and defend what I say. Who knows, maybe you will change my opinion and I might change yours.

Yes, I did pick stuff out of other people's trash to earn a few dollars. Back in those days I was probably the ONLY one around doing that in this area. It wasn't until after Michele Easter was on tv that so many became refunders.  Yes, even though I didn't say it, I did donate quite a bit to charity and still do all the time. I'm planning to donate a lot of food from my current stockpile as I do a house clean out. I have way more than I personally need and it should go to those who may need it more than me.

I also get food donated to me quite regularly by the food fairies. I find it sitting on my porch so there's no way for me to turn it down. On occasion over the years I've also had to rely on food bank foods as well. That's the reason I donate as often as I'm able.

If I can't donate food then I donate quilts that can be sold or auctioned to raise money which could be used to buy foods or given to help pay for medications or utility bills and other things. I never ever ask for recognition about the quilts I donate. I sign the donated quilts as "A. Nony Mouse". No one asks my name and I don't offer it.

What I really should have pointed out in my post is that the greedy extreme couponers make it very difficult for the rest of the couponers to buy extra to give as donations. What if a regular couponer went into those stores right after the extreme couponer had left. There would be no products on the shelves for the regular couponer to buy for charity. It was all taken by one person.

If the manufacturer believes thousands and thousands of people will start buying like the extreme couponing people how long do you think the coupons will keep coming? The manufacturers are about earning money. If they see any possibility they won't earn money then they change the marketing strategy.

How long do you think coupons will be offered if the 2-3% of coupons turned in right now suddenly became 60 - 80% turned in? Do you see my point? I've already seen the refunds go away by too many over zealous users.... myself included.... and really hope the coupons don't follow.

It's the shocker shows that get the most people interested in doing the same thing. Gosh, if someone were to have a reality show of how to find the most discount bin finds in one trip then I'd probably be one of the people on the show. (giggle) But then everyone would be looking for the discount stuff and I'd have a much harder time finding it for myself.

If I could find the right coupons, I'd do more couponing. The ones I see in my paper are mostly for junk stuff. Not foods or usable stuff. The coupons I see are for fancy restaurants and $2 bills being sold for $20 but no coupons for oranges and apples. There's coupons for beer and wine products but none for fresh milk for babies.  Do you see these good type coupons in your paper?

Anonymous, I see your point of view, do you see mine? I'm not a professional writer. I'm just a little old lady with an opinion and ideas to share. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Sometimes I really like discussing things and getting ideas and feed back from others too. Discussing things is how I continually grow and learn so that I can pass it on to others.

Ok, time for me to get back in there and sort something. I've only got a couple days left for extreme organizing before I must get back to quilting.

6 comments:

jillyヅ said...

Wow, both today's and yesterday's post had many good points. I agree with you and with points made by Anonymous.

I couponed before to save some money. It took up way too much of my time. Today I simply look through the coupon section, and like you throw out most of the coupons, as I don't need them. Most of them are for junk food, or baby items that I don't need. One needs to eat healthy, and eating box after box of cereal in the long run will cost you far more money with doctor visits.

When my son and I were homeless, after several weeks I went to our church for food. One of the pastors walked me to the food storage container and said to help myself. I was both embearssed and grateful for help. But what good is a can of veggies if one has no can opener? So I ask, what good is a toothbrush without the toothpaste, if the one your helping has no means to buy toothpaste? Just small examples, but I believe extreme couponers are probably spending 40+ hours a week to do what they do. That sounds like a job, not a hobby. Is that really worth it?? If one has a garage full of stuff, that to me is hoarding!!! Plain and simple.

This point is for Anonymous, I believe if one is truly giving to charity or to a neighbor in need, they should not have need for such a large area to store food, personal items. Giving off the top, not your excess is what God wants. Remember Cain and Abel??

Both my husband and I loved what you said about the seasons. Well said. Even God knows we overzealous, work ourselves to the bone humans do need a day and a season to rest. Even the soil one farms or gardens, needs a time to rest.

One thing the Bible says that I try to live by, "is not to bring attention to oneself". If anyone gives to charity, it is to be done with a willing heart and in secret so to speak. God knows what we do and why we do it. One does not need to "brag" about how much and which charity you give to. Give because it is in your heart to give, not to show to others. As I said, I try. Its a very thin line between knowing what is teaching/helping, and what may be showing off.

I have only been reading your blog for a short time, but have enjoyed and learned much from your teachings/tips Anita.

And remember, honesty will get ya in trouble, but still be honest.

blessings,
jilly

Anita Estes said...

Jilly, when I was couponing and refunding it WAS a full time job for me. Actually it was more like running a home based business. I kept records of transactions and paid taxes on the income from refunds. I continually had to replenish stock of coupons, refund forms, and packaging. I spent hours matching coupons to sales items. I spent a lot of time shopping. It took time to locate just the right items to match the coupons and the refund items. Then more time to find new refund forms to use for trading.

Would I do it all again if refund forms and coupons came back? NO, I don't think I would do it again. It did help stretch my budget but the earnings "per hour worked" were not enough.

Joan J said...

I am on both sides of the fence on the coupon discussion. I do use coupons, but in the manner in which they are intended, not to an extreme and not to stockpile more items than any one human can use in a lifetime. But what Anonymous don't seem to understand is retail stores do not give ANYTHING away for FREE. The more coupons that are used, the more stores will jack up prices on other items to compensate. EVERYONE pays for those who use coupons to an extreme. And honestly, I disagree with Anonymous that all extreme couponers donate items to charity. I see yard sales and flea markets full of the freebies found by couponers. So not only are they jacking up the price of groceries, they're making money on those "free" items. Don't think the stores don't know what's going on - they do, and we're all paying for it, including those who can least afford it - those who can't afford a Sunday paper or Internet access! At some point I'd like to see stores limit the number of coupons one shopper can use per item. Coupons are good - I save money with them. Extreme couponing hurts everyone.

Anita Estes said...

Joan, the "double" coupons are limited to only two of identical items in this area and it's only at a couple of stores. Most stores in this area don't double or triple at all anymore. This limits the number of identical items one person can get for free.

In other words.... no 1000 boxes of free cereal and no 500 boxes of free pasta. The limit is two. So a shopper can get two boxes of cereal free, two boxes of pasta free, two bottles of soda free and so forth but only two of each unless they take stuff to the car and go back in to shop again.

A person can use as many coupons as they want for identical items as long as only two of each become free.

Anonymous said...

part 2




Some of the extreme couponers may be spending hours and hours, but if they are working with the coupons on a regular basics and have a good system in place they could spend as little as 2-3 hours a week. If in that time they are savings 60% of their grocery budget, they are averaging $15-20 and hour. More than most can make working for someone else.

Someone commented about the extreme couponer cleaning off the shelf and not leaving any for others. IT IS NOT JUST THE COUPONERS doing this. There are certain numbers that the stores order in of each item, and if it is on sale they may sell out of that item within a short amount of time, but if you stood at checkout and watched most of those same items would not have a coupon used at checkout. or there is not a coupon even out for that item at that time. If there is only a couple dozen items on the shelf and say a hundred people go thur the store during the day, if everyone bought just one item there still would not be enough. The stores only carry a 2-3 day supply of food on premises at any given time, if say a snow storm shut down the roads for 3 days, they (if they could even open) the store would be without food in that amount of time. Yes there are a few extreme couponers who do clear the shelves, but alot of them will even have the store special order in a case of the items for them. But the companies are also aware of what coupons are out at any given time. They employ people to track this. Some store managers will order in extra when they know something will sell out, some won't. It is at the descretion of the store managers.

I agree that alot of the coupons are for junk. I also know there are not alot of coupons out for the meats, fruits and veggies. But they do exist, they are just harder to come by. Or are only released at certain times of the year. That is why stockpiling is important. But if people just used coupons on personal care, laundry, cleaning, etc they would save money, but most people cannot be bothered.

Whoever wrote: One thing the Bible says that I try to live by, "is not to bring attention to oneself". If anyone gives to charity, it is to be done with a willing heart and in secret so to speak. God knows what we do and why we do it. One does not need to "brag" about how much and which charity you give to. Give because it is in your heart to give, not to show to others. As I said, I try. Its a very thin line between knowing what is teaching/helping, and what may be showing off.

I know alot of the couponers do live by this and do not call attention to themselves. They summed it up in alot fewer words than I have been rambling about.

By the way YOU did not make me mad. I think people should see that there is another side of the story and usually it never gets discussed. These shows want to only show the extreme.

Anonymous said...

You wrote: What I saw was stockpiles far greater than one family could use in one lifetime... or two lifetimes and was going to be left in a will rather than give any of it to charity.

That goes back to the writers of the story only picked the most extreme people/stories to appear on their show. They may or may not be donating to others, but the writers for the show are not going to include it even if they are helping others as they are going for the shock factor. But I am sure there are a few people who are horders and do....... well go to the extreme, but it is a very small percentage of people.

You wrote: How long do you think coupons will be offered if the 2-3% of coupons turned in right now suddenly became 60 - 80% turned in?

It will never happen!!! Most people can't be bothered to use even one coupon. Some are in the mindset that people will look down on me as being poor if I do. Some will not even use them if they are cut and given to them. Some will not take the time, they think that it does not save them money. And some are just too lazy (not saying any of you are), but they want stuff handed to them on a silver platter. There are a hundred different reasons. If it was going to jump to that high of a percentage we would be see more than a CONSISTANT 2-3% usage over the last several decades. Since the 1960's really as that is when the coupons were more or less started. Before that they put the item/gift into the product (towels in soap/ glasses in laundry detergents, etc) Several of the manufacturers and companies are trying to move into the internet coupons, and not print the paper coupons. Times change, but still historically ONLY 2-3% are ever redeemed.


You wrote: Yes, I did pick stuff out of other people's trash to earn a few dollars. Back in those days I was probably the ONLY one around doing that in this area.


I agree you were probally one of the few in your area. But then again some people don't share with others what they do, buy with coupons, shopping goodwill or whatever. They have to maintain appearences, its human nature. They don't want to be looked down on. But there again over the whole USA there were thousands who did this, but it was still only 2-3% of the total refunds put out each year.

If you follow coupons and refunds which are printed, they are on a cycle. These large companies are well aware of the dollar amounts released in their advertising, and they keep doing it year after year at about the same time frame each year. But everything changes and grows, more people don't buy the product, the product gets discontinued, etc, etc. If the companies weren't aware of this, it maybe different, but they employ a large staff to keep up with it.

Someone said that the stores would start raising prices if more and more coupons were turned in. If you have ever read the coupons you will note the stores ARE NOT paying for the coupons, they are getting reimbursed by the companies/manufactures and are getting usually a 7 or 8 percent handling fee on top of the coupon value. Yes some of the stores did double and triple coupons, the double and triple was on the stores part, there again they employ a research staff which follows those figures for their store and they still offered the "extra". They were not losing money or they would of stopped. The stores which follow this practice still do it, in the areas of the country in which they are making the money. They are the large chain stores and not the little mom and pop operations. All stores around here have been doubling for over 20 years and have not changed their policies. Sometimes certain NEW management will come in and try to change how they run their stores, but the General management has not changed, usually a simple phone call to headquarters in a nice polite manner will get your answer and the local store will have to honor whatever the headquarters has in place for their policy.

See part 2 below.....