Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Finished another quilt.... finally

The last three days have been a whirlwind of activity for me. Friday was shopping day. I didn't buy a lot but what I did buy took a bite out of my budget. All I bought was 50 lbs of meat for the freezer. Then I took Saturday morning to put it into bags and into the freezer. This should last through the winter for both my daughter and myself.

Saturday afternoon was spent going to different stores looking for a good bargain on a new washer and dryer. I knew if I didn't find a good brand new set then I would start looking at used ones. Wow, did I luck upon a good bargain! I got a brand new washer and dryer, hoses and cords, vent pipe, delivery and hook up, haul away the old set, and a one year warranty for $438. It wasn't what I had hoped for but I can live with it. They were both discontinued and floor models. They will be delivered Wednesday afternoon.

Geeze, I didn't know people had to pay for the cords on new appliances. What good is buying a new appliance if it doesn't come with a cord to run it? What if I had said no I don't want a cord? Everything these days is about finding hidden, sneaky ways to get our money. Why can't they just include the cost of the cords in the price of the appliance? The cord IS a part of the appliance isn't it? So why not just put it into the price? I guess that would be too much like right.

Well anyway, Sunday morning I cleaned the kitchen really good. I went to put the covers on the stove burners... huh?.... one is missing. Where on earth could I have put it? I search all through the kitchen. I'm baffled. There couldn't be a reason I would have taken it to another room, yet, it isn't here.




Then it dawned on me. I HAD taken it to another room! I was using it for a template for the center of the necktie quilts. Gee whiz.... my memory is.... hmm.... what's the word? ..... SENIOR. Yup, that's the word. A senior moment memory. Mystery solved.



So here are a couple of pictures of the finished quilt. It was too late in the day to get good pictures. I took the best ones I could. This is the center of the snowball blocks. It goes with the border design.



This is the nine patch blocks. A simpler design to speed the work along.


This is the corners of the snowball blocks.



Today is a holiday so I probably will do more house organizing and start the next quilt. This afternoon I plan to go with my brother and SIL to the peddlers mall and out for dinner. He wants to talk to the owners of the mall about setting up a booth. He has bunches and bunches of hand tools he doesn't use anymore. I have a bunch of nick knacks and dishes I haven't used in years. We are both thinking that if we sell a few things we can put the money toward some house repairs.

Have a good holiday ya'll.

3 comments:

FoulkeArt said...

Beautiful quilting on that quilt!

Have a good holiday.
Marilyn

kathi said...

CONGRATULATIONS on getting the new appliances and at a GREAT price. and yes, the cord should be included, but never is. another way they 'get ya". have a great holiday.

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

That really was a good deal. Usually the washer alone costs almost that much. About the cords....when we bought our new kitchen range and brought it home, guess what? No cord. Luckily the hardware store was still open and had one.