Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Issue quilt - pieced backing

Yesterday, I didn't show pictures of the top of this difficult quilt. I knew I was going to work on it so I saved the pictures for today's post. I'm sorry, I should have explained that yesterday. It's a sampler quilt. See the on point setting? I've got it stabilized and started the quilting.




Here I've chalk marked where a feather spine will be. As you can see, there are multiple seams coming together in some of the blocks. (no way to see where the fabric warts are on the back)

This is the pattern photo of the quilt. I hope you can see the feather design in the photo. Notice the feather style? I think you can click on the picture to make it larger.

Here you can see I've started working some of the feathers. This is the setting triangles. I changed the feather. It's a branching feather instead of a single feather. Branching fills the space nicer. It still has the type plumes as the original quilt.


This is the starting corner. I also finished the feather on the outside border.



This customer does not want an overall theme. She wants it finished as closely as I can manage to match the original quilt. I told the customer that the backing will have tucks. It's unavoidable. She doesn't mind. I did tell her how to avoid this problem in the future. Want to know what it is? Ok, I'll explain it.

If the backing squares have not been made then simply sew your pieces to a "leave in" non-sticky stabilizer. The kind that doesn't need to be removed. Use squares of stabilizer as a foundation to sew your scrap fabric to it. Do a sew and flip like you would do with paper piecing. The stabilizer prevents the bias of the fabric from stretching no matter which direction the bias goes. Be sure to press very well each time you sew a new piece into the block. Pressing is the key.

If the squares are leftovers from other projects then you should use an "iron-on" stabilizer. Press the stabilizer to each of the blocks and trim away the excess carefully before sewing the blocks together. Again, pressing is the key. Press the blocks very carefully before adding the stabilizer. You want to press out any fullness before adding the stabilizer.

Simple huh? Bet you didn't think of it. (wink) Yes, the stabilizer does add an extra layer of fabric to deal with but it's much better than trying to avoid tucks in the backing.
I usually don't quilt on Sunday. I have three appointments this week. I quilted yesterday to get some of the work done that I won't be able to do in the next few days. Tomorrow I'll show you how I avoid running over fabric warts and breaking needles when doing this type quilt. Providing nothing happens to take me away from the quilting machine.
Now if only, if only I could get blogger to stop messing with the spacing in my posts.... sigh.




No comments: