Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Now that's truly frugal!!

About 20 years ago one of the local gas/convenience stores had a big promotional advertisement. If anyone bought one of their refillable coffee cups or soft drink cups they could get free refills for as long as the person owned the cups. All the person had to do was bring in the cup and fill it up.

I bought several of each to give as gifts. I gave one set to a good friend for his birthday. I lost touch with this friend until yesterday. I happened to be down town at the courthouse. I had some other places to stop since I was already there. I started making my way from one place to another. At the end of my stops I walked to a bus stop in front of a gas/convenience store to catch my bus home. I walked inside to cool off a bit before the bus came and who should I see? My friend I hadn't seen in several years. He lives within a block distance of the convenience store.

Guess what he was doing? Yup, you guessed it. He was getting a free refill for a soft drink. I was amazed at him. He told me he hasn't paid for a cup of coffee or a soft drink in all these years. The best gift he ever got. Now that's truly frugal! Geeze, why didn't I keep my own set?

No comments: