Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Busy outside

I've got a quilt on the machine and it's stabilized.  I have someone coming by tomorrow to spend the day with me so I won't get to the quilting until Wednesday.  I've been spending a lot of time in my backyard lately.  Now that it's not raining day after day I'm doing what I can.  I've been cleaning weeds out of the fence as best I am able.  Can't reach most of them.



Picking cherries from the tree.



Making DUH mistakes in the garden and getting a good laugh at myself about them.  (The fence is in the wrong place.)


I was asked how a pieced backing should be done so it doesn't cause problems with tucks.  Well, you must be sure the grain line of all the fabrics go in the same direction.  If one fabric is cut cross grain (the stretchy way) and the fabric sewn next to it is cut straight grain (the non stretchy way) you get the problem of tucks.  No matter how tight you roll the backing on the rollers, you can only go as tight as the straight grain will let you.  That leaves the cross grain fabric with some slack.  Even a small amount of uneven stretch can cause tucks underneath.  If you are hand quilting the difference in grain lines is not a problem.  It's only when the pieced backing is put onto the rollers of a quilting machine that it causes a problem. 

Hmm... I know there is something I'm forgetting to type-talk about.  I can't think of what it is at the moment.  Anyway, my internet time is up.  I'm limiting myself for a little while in order to get more work finished around my house. 

No comments: