Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fry coating mix

I save time in the kitchen whenever I can.  Instead of mixing up a coating mix each and every time I plan to fry chicken or pork chops or whatever; it's easier to have it already mixed.  I make the mix in a large quantity then simply scoop out what is needed each time. 



I both mix and store the coating mix in this jar which was originally a peanut butter jar.  I date when it was made so I know when it should be either used or tossed.  Truthfully, I've never kept any of it long enough to be tossed.  I use it long before it gets old.  It's still better to be safe than sorry so I date it.   Mixing it ahead of time also lets the flour soak up the favor of the spices used.  The corn starch gives a more crispy texture when fried. 




2 cups flour
1 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon pepper
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons savory (cereal) crumbs
3 Tablespoons Mrs Dash table blend

You may notice that I don't use salt of any kind in this mix.  I try to use as little salt as possible in my cooking.  Salt is added at the table if the food needs it.  Cooking with salt then adding more at the table plus salt put in by the food companies adds up to a lot of salt. 



No comments: