Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cardboard studio desk

I need a new desk for my studio. I don't want to go out and buy a piece of furniture that is the wrong size, the wrong style, and the wrong price for my budget. I'm going to make it from cardboard. After all, cardboard furniture is making a comeback into my hobby life. It's something I enjoy.

So I go through my furniture pictures to choose details I like.




Just like working out the details of a quilt design; cardboard furniture always starts with a plan and lots of math.





Then start cutting out the pieces.




Still more pieces to cut.



And even more pieces to cut.



Next is the piecing it all together.




Finally, I have the base pieces sort of put together. They are side by side for the picture but will be farther apart to allow sit down space when the piece is finished.




There is still lots to do on this furniture piece. When do I have time? Well, its like this..... I spend 12 hours a day at the quilting machine. From 4 am to 4 pm. 12 hours a day is plenty of time at work. A person does need some leisure time too. At the end of the day I can do whatever I want with my free time.
.
In the past I would create charity quilts (or rugs) in my free time. I will go back to doing the charity quilts eventually. For now, I want to create some things that are useful for myself. My budget is much too tight for buying organizing stuff right now.... cardboard is free. I can organize to my hearts content by creating just the right organizer, in just the right size, in just the right style, and painted in just the right color to make me happy.

Working with cardboard is different enough from working with fabric that it gives my brain a rest. It helps alleviate some of the burnout I've been feeling lately. I will post more pictures as I finish more of the work.

No comments: