Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2007

At home retreat

I just had to put a quote in here this morning. This was posted by the stashbuster list mom and it started my day off with a chuckle. I thought I would share it with my readers who are not a member of the stashbuster list.

QUOTE:
While at work today, I showed a jail guard (I am a jail nurse) a picture of my appliquéd Jacobean floral quilt, on webshots.com, and said--"See? That's the quilt I have been working on when you have seen me in the break room." Guess what he said"WWWWWoooowwww!"Just as I was primping for a compliment, he said "man! You really knitted that whole thing?????" List mom Sandra

END QUOTE:

So here are today’s finished quilts.


The other half.


And another one


The other half


Yesterday was a good day and a bad day too. It was really nice to have a friend come over for a few hours of sewing. I will talk about that in a minute.

I also got several calls from customers yesterday saying: “I’m really not rushing you BUT, will you have my quilt finished soon?” There were 5 of these calls which always, always make me feel guilty for being behind on my work. Yes, I am several days behind. Yes, I am working as fast as I can.

Trust me; no one is more anxious for me to finish up the quilts on my waiting list than me! I’m soooo looking forward to time off. I have all these WIMMs (works in my mind) just waiting to come out. It’s very hard to concentrate on work when fun is just a few customer quilts away. (wink) Of course these WIMM quilts will have to wait until the business plans are finished too.

So, for the next few days I will be sticking with the quilting machine and saying NO to any time away from the studio or visits from family and friends. I may not have much time on the computer either. If I don’t post for a couple of days, don’t worry, I’m just working.

Now for the at home retreat which was an afternoon of piecing….

My friend did come over and we did do the piecing of the blocks. It didn't come out the way it was supposed to. Yes, it did create a block which started with a 10 ½ inch square. I can call it a 10-2-3 block. It is a block but not what I was trying to accomplish. I've thought about what went wrong. I believe I put too many cuts into it so I will do one by myself as soon as I get caught up.

This is how the block finished. It is a good block but not what I had hoped.


I don’t have much computer time this morning for typing up the instructions. I’ll have to do it during lunch or supper breaks the next few days.

It was interesting that my friend asked me; "If you are so far behind on your machine quilting, why are you sitting here and piecing with me?" The answer is simple, 12 hours per day, 6 days a week on the machine is quite enough. I do need some time for me. It doesn't matter if I split the hours in the middle of the day to have a little time for creating. Just as long as I don't make a habit of splitting every day. I really prefer to keep going on each top that is on the machine until it is finished. Stopping to do other things breaks my concentration and rythym.

Ok, gotta get to work now, 36 and counting down.

No comments: