Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade school glue

A few days ago I was looking through some of my old cookbooks trying to find a recipe for Caramel pudding.  I stumbled across this recipe for making paper paste.  I thought others might be interested in the recipe too.  It can be used thick for a homemade version of paper paste or it can be thinned to be more like liquid school glue.  Did you know school glue is nothing more than corn starch? 

For this recipe put 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 4 tablespoons white corn syrup, and 2 teaspoons vinegar into a pot.  Cook this over low heat, while stirring constantly, until it becomes thick.   Sort of like a pudding that's just a tad too thick.  Remove from the heat.



While it's still hot add 1 1/2 cups more water and 1/2 cup more cornstarch.  Stir this together without cooking until it becomes creamy.  Like a thin pudding.



As it cools it will thicken up to about what a paper paste would look like.  Put this into a container to use for any type of craft needing paste.



To make it into a pourable school glue simply add more water, one teaspoon at a time, stirring to keep it creamy.   Stop adding water when it gets to a pourable stage.  I'm going to save a dish liquid bottle to store the more liquid version.  I'm planning to use this recipe when making my cardboard furniture too. 

UPDATE:  This homemade glue should be kept in the fridge and used within a few days.  I left mine covered and sitting on the counter to see if it could last.  This is what I got after a couple of weeks.  It started to grow green hair.  It's excellent for pasting paper. 


I also found this to be an excellent recipe for making paint for Ladybug.  Just divide the glue into some small containers and add a few drops of food colors.  She spent almost an hour playing with the paint.

No comments: