Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Just thinking

My house is located along the flight path of airplanes leaving our airport.  I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of what sounded like a very low flying airplane going over the house.  How odd it sounded.  Either it was a very slow moving plane or there was more than one of them leaving back to back.  After getting up, I realized it was just the wind.  Really strong wind!  We had dodged the snow and ice but we were getting lots of wind.  I went back to bed hoping to  get some sleep despite the sounds.

I also had a thought on my mind and don't know where it came from.  Probably my frugal mind working over time looking for more ways to save money.  My thoughts might have something to do with what I heard on the news a few days ago..  The news story was about someone suing YUM brands over saying their Taco Bell beef was beef when it really contained lots of fillers and extenders.

Anyway, while laying there listening to the wind and doing my best to go back to sleep.....it occurred to me.... if a person buys one of those 1/3 pound fast food angus burgers and pays 5.99 for it; then that means they are paying $18 a pound for the ground beef.  Hmm... how's that for a great reason to make your own burgers at home? 

Would I even consider paying $18 a pound for ground beef at the grocery?  No way!  Would you?  I cringe just knowing I'm paying more than double the amount I paid for ground beef a couple of years ago.  I was used to getting ground beef for 99 cents a pound, or less when it was on sale, but now days the best I've been able to do is $2.49 a pound from the discount bin every now and then.



Give it some thought next time you go the fast food route..... how much beef is really in that burger?  Is the beef full of fillers and extenders?  Take a look at that $1 burger you can buy from the dollar menu.  It probably contains one ounce of ground beef plus extenders.  Well, suppose it doesn't have any fillers and extenders; you're still paying somewhere about $16 a pound for that dollar menu burger.  I don't want to pay that much money for something that will leave me feeling hungry again in about 30 minutes. 

1 comment:

HandiGrammi said...

Thanks for the reminder/tip about burgers. So many ideas we can all share about frugal living. We try to do some of that blogging "Grand Gifts Made Simple"...

Current post relates to Valentine's Day and how to make it a little less commercial. It is heart-breaking to think of the money that will be spent on showy things and eating out this Feb. 14 when there are so many more personal and personalized ways of showing love and affection.