Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Dirt wanted

I was awakened by the sounds of the emergency sirens going off this morning.  No bad weather at the moment so I turn on the tv to find out what's going on.  There's another chemical leak at a plant near my area.  This is the second chemical related accident in a short time. 

I also saw more reports on all the damage done by tornadoes the last couple of days.  My heart goes out to those who were affected by the destruction.  I pray none of my friends living in those areas are hurt.  
Ok, on to more pleasant thoughts.  The garden boxes are built, all I need now is the dirt to fill them.  Gosh, that's gonna be a lot of dirt.  The boxes are 4' X 8' and 12 inches high.  Exactly the way I wanted them but..... gosh, where will I get all that dirt to fill them?   I had thought I would by some bags from the hardware store or mega store but I'm having second thoughts.  That will be a lot of money to pay for dirt.   I need to come up with a plan. 



These also need to be planted pretty soon.  They are blooming already.   I'm not exactly sure where to plant them in order to get the most benefit. 



A friend brought me more cardboard.... double fluted kind..... which is always a nice gift.  Double fluted is hard for me to find.  I'll get these cut apart and stored away sometime today before Ladybug arrives.



There's the quilt on the machine I want to work on today.... right after I get back from the doctor's office.  So many things to do.... so little time.

1 comment:

lw said...

I would plant the blackberries along the hurricane fence. If there are thorns, you get some security along with the berries.

Try craigslist for free fill dirt. There are usually people who have dirt they are hoping someone will haul away.