Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Working on the rose

It's sometimes difficult getting to my computer these days. The computer is in my daughter's room. We sleep on different schedules. When I'm up early, like 3 or 4 am, she's still asleep. When she's awake, staying home because of the weather, she uses the computer to work from home. I can't move the computer to another room because there is only one place it can be hooked up to the internet. I need to get another phone line installed so I can move it to another spot.... but where? I'll have to think on this a bit.

Anyway, my friend Marilyn suggested I start with the rose to challenge myself. What a coincidence.... I had started working on the rose already. I had thought the same thing.



When I draw the pattern pieces for a quilt, I call it a map. Map.... gives directions.... get it? So I drew the map for the rose. I've not decided which pieces go under which ones yet. I'll do that as I start putting it together.


I've decided to work in a series for most of my quilts from now on. I find it just as easy to cut out templates for more than one quilt at a time as it is for one. Here I've cut out the freezer paper patterns for 5 rose quilts.



I started looking through the tons of fabric in my stash to find the right fabric.... well heck.... not enough fabric for even one rose as I see it in my mind. All my fabrics are nice but won't do for a rose. I thought maybe I would look for some hand dye fabric..... Yikes! I had no idea how expensive those are. Nope, not in my budget. I gotta find time to use the dyes I own. Why have them if I don't learn to use them? This goes on my to do list for warm weather.
.
Ok, I have an appointment next Monday which means I'm going to be out and about. I may as well add a trip to the fabric store too. I haven't been to this fabric store in about two years. It's been nearly that long since I was able to get away from the quilting machine except for grocery shopping and doctor visits. I gotta check out what they've been up.
.
I plan to look for mottled fabric and batik fabric. Those should work for the shading effects I want on the rose quilts. Hmm.... while I'm going to be out anyway, I might as well stop at the library too. I haven't been there for quite a long time.

2 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

I don't think you need another phone connections .... you need a longer phone line cord ... they come in all lengths.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing pictures as you work on your rose quilt. What is your favorite rose color?