Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Suggestions needed asap!!

I had a lady request that I make a quilt for her. The lady is loosing her hair in clumps due to an illness. She plans to shave it all off instead of waiting for it to fall out a little at a time. Her hair is black and about 4 or 5 inches long.

She wants her hair put into the quilt in some way. I’ve always been able to put almost anything into a quilt but this one really has me stumped! I need suggestions!

I had suggested the hair be encased in plastic which I could then sew like it was just a different type of fabric. She doesn’t like the idea of the plastic.

I suggested the hair be glued to fabric then sewed into the quilt. She doesn’t mind this. I’m not sure what type of glue to use that will be washable.

She wants a traditional quilt pattern with very little visible motion in the design. The size is going to be a queen. It will hang on a wall with the length side to side instead of top to bottom.

Does anyone have any suggestions for putting her hair into the quilt????

2 comments:

Liz in Calgary said...

When my mom put our hair into our baby books she tied a bit with ribbon and put it between the pages. (As far as I know they are still in there). That aside - they used to make rememberances of people by doing some sort of crocheting or knotting of long hair. It was very popular around 1900. Some of these were quite elaborate and works of art in their own right. In a quilt - put it in with the batting, or make a pocket for it and put a lock of it in a ribbon, and close the pocket.

take care
Liz

Feather on a Wire said...

Whatever you do, in the end it won't comply with the image she has in her head.
As the hair is quite short, it will be very difficult for it to make it lie flat.
Why don't you suggest she goes along to a jewelers and get some put in a locket?
I don't think she realises how much this will gross people out.