Welcome to my blog

Please don't remind me that I'm poor; I'm having too much fun pretending I'm simply "living green" like everyone else these days.


Pages

Friday, May 25, 2007

I quit!

Guess what? Oh well, you’ll never guess so I’ll just tell you. I woke up this morning and told my boss “I QUIT!” Of course, being my own boss, I was really talking to myself.

Have you ever had a job so stressful that each morning you dreaded going to work? Then after you had taken about all the stress you could handle you walk in one day and say you quit? I did once and quitting felt soooo good.

Ok, so I realize I can’t really quit but I sure wish I could. Instead I’m drastically cutting back on the work I accept - again. My family is much more important than quilt deadlines! I have a grandson who is about 2 or 2 ½ years old and I’ve never seen him in person. I’m feeling so ashamed of myself for that.

Later in the day my daughter called to check on me. Usually her first question to me is “what are you doing” to which I always reply “oh the same old thing, working on a quilt”. This time when she asked I replied “oh nothing, just sitting”. She says “oh, so you’re pinning pieces.” I say no, just sitting and doing nothing. What?!? My mother is just sitting and doing nothing? I’ve never seen you just sit and I’m almost 26 years old. (I know how old you are baby girl because I was there when you were born.) She says, you must be doing something; cutting, reading, typing, pinning or something? Nope, I’m just sitting.

Honestly, I wasn’t doing anything but sitting. I wanted to see what it felt like to do absolutely nothing but relax. No tv, no books on cd, no work in my hands, nothing but sitting. It didn’t last long though. I’m too hyper to just sit for very long. I did start cutting the pieces for one of my grandson’s quilt. He designed it and I promised to make it for him.

I really do think it is time for me to take a few months off from doing topper quilts and concentrate on just doing quilts from scratch. If I just do scratch quilts for non-sewers I will still have enough to live on and have plenty of time for what matters most to me – my family.

I have to be careful about announcing that I quit though. The last time I decided to quit I wound up with a new Gammill and a promise not to quit for 5 years. Hmmm…. Has it been 5 years yet? This may put a glitch in my plans. I’ll have to look through my papers.

Ok, this is short for today. I have a top on the machine that I started quilting yesterday. I’m at 46 more to do and counting down. This is sort of like counting the days left until vacation. I really do plan to take a few weeks off to work on a special project.

No comments: